How to become a DME Supplier
What is DME?
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) is medical equipment that is ordered by healthcare providers for patients. This equipment can include CPAP machines, walkers, wheelchairs, oxygen equipment, canes, crutches, monitors, etc.
What is the credentialing process like?
There are several different components that go into credentialing a DME company. Credentialing a DME company takes a substantial amount of time and resources. It is important that you make sure you are properly credentialed with insurance companies in your area before claim submission begins, to decrease lost revenue.
Before you start the DME credentialing process, it is important to make sure you have all of your information gathered and in order to submit your applications. Most new DME companies start by enrolling with the top 6-12 insurances in their area. Getting credentialed with these payers can take anywhere from 4-6 months, so it is important to start the process as early as possible.
How to become a DME supplier:
- Register your company with the state and obtain your Federal Tax ID or EIN. (This typically takes 2-4 weeks)
- Create your Type 2 NPI
- Meet all of the DME Standards and go through the DME Accreditation process with a Medicare and Medicaid approved accreditation organization. (This typically takes 3-9 months, after the initial company set-up is completed)
- Per CMS requirements, obtain a surety bond making the national supplier clearinghouse as the obligee
- Get all of your documents in order and submit your applications to the desired payers
- Obtain in-network contracts with your enrolled payers and start billing claims to the insurance companies
If you are looking to become an in-network DME supplier, consider reaching out to TriumpHealth, to get your organization credentialed. TriumpHealth works with Ancillary and DME companies nationwide and know all the necessary steps to get you enrolled. To talk to someone about credentialing your business, call 817-857-1075 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.